Friday, February 6, 2009

Spogga.

I was home for a month, and after having my wisdom teeth out... drooling for a full week and spending way too much time on the couch... I was ready to see some form of human life. My friend was going to Providence to meet up with her sister at RI RA to hear a guy- Spogga. The name immediately intrigued me. I'd like to say that I went without a second thought. But, being me, I checked out his myspace in addition to looking up about 5 youtube videos. To tell you the truth, I was less than impressed. But couch or friends... Ok, I'll go.

I walk into the pub and see Spogga, a good-looking older guy. And then. The head turns. He has a nearly shaved head and a small ponytail section formed into one massive dreadlock. Nothing like anything I had seen before. Then his music began. Nothing like anything I had ever heard live (or anything remotely like the youtube videos). He played an acoustic, and along with other sounds (including a conk shell), looped his sounds to make mixed songs like "99 Problems" by Jay-Z with "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. It reminded me a lot of the Grey Album. But live. And by one guy. Pretty awesome. Good thing I didn't choose the couch.

No comments: