Saturday, January 30, 2010

Don't Ever Stop This Train

John Mayer is one of the best musicians of this generation with his guitar excellence and beautiful song writing. About a week ago I watched his "Where the Light Is" concert on DVD.

The concert had 3 parts:

Acoustic John Mayer
"John Mayer opening up for The John Mayer Trio"
This is the way I like music the most: sincere, simple and stripped-down. The first two songs he played (Neon, Stop This Train) are two of my favorite John Mayer songs: Neon for the guitar, Stop This Train for the songwriting. He also played a cover of Tom Petty's Freefallin', Daughters and a song I hadn't heard before called In Your Atmosphere.

John Mayer Trio
Whenever Try! was released, I realized that John Mayer was a serious and studious musician. Mayer didn't team up with just anyone; he teamed up with jazz legends Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino. This set was artfully done, starting with Every Day I Have the Blues. This 8 song modern jazz set was infused with so many solos, I almost forgot that this was the same guy who had just played the acoustic set.

John Mayer Band
This is the John Mayer I learned to love back in high school. I'm a sucker for pop. Good pop, that is. Mayer had a full stage of accompanying musicians, complete with horns, for this set 9 song set of Mayer standards like Why Georgia, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Waiting on the World to Change and Belief.

The best part about this concert was that it seemed like it was never going to end.

No comments: