Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bonnaroo Hating

I've been reading up on a lot of message boards for any leaks or inside information on 2010 Bonnaroo. What bands have summer tours? Which ones are likely to play 'Roo? Are they going to grab some unlikely headliners?

What I found was not secret information, but the open hyped-up hate towards Kings of Leon.

Man, are some people angry about them. I understand that their most recent album Only by the Night "Sex on Fire"... yeah, yeah.... is more finely produced than their previous records, but it still possesses the same gritty rock and roll they've always had. I remember my first year at Bonnaroo in 2004 waiting for Saturday's music to start up at 12:30 in "That Tent." Who was I going to see? This new, young southern rock band from Tennessee named Kings of Leon.

The music started and people, previously passed out in the vast expanses of grass, started waking up to find the music. And that's when the people of Bonnaroo found Kings of Leon.

After seeing that show as well as one in 2008, no matter how many records are sold, how many fans there are, how produced they sound, Kings of Leon has it.

No comments: