Monday, April 20, 2009

Really Random (Live) Music

In the past 6 months, I've been to some pretty random shows. I think the most random would have to be the show when Chris Barron opened up for Edwin McCain.*

Sometimes it's the people, and not the music, that make a show incredible. I really enjoyed the concert, but the real show was happening at the table beside us. The show was at Foxboro's new venue: Showcase Live. It's a beautiful place, serving dinner, desert and drinks, with tables which seat about 10 people. My parents, boyfriend and I were at the end of our table and there was a middle-aged couple sitting to our left. The woman spoke to my mom and said that they were there for an anniversary (and that I'll Be" is their song). As the night progressed, the man got sloppier and sloppier, shouting "Baylorrrr" and then giving my boyfriend "pounds" and "high-fives." It was terribly awkward, because no matter how much he avoided these gestures, he would somehow get trapped into them. But here's the thing: after 10 double Jack&Cokes and about 200 high-fives, the man suddenly turned to mush, grabbed his wife's hands (who he had ignored the ENTIRE show), gazed into her eyes, and sung the entire "I'll Be" song to her while Edwin played it. Then immediately after the song ended he looked away from his wife, turning to by boyfriend, and gave him yet another pound... shouting "BAYLOR- HOW'D YOU LIKE THAT ONE?!?!" We were all stunned. It's like the guy completely transformed. Twice. Safe to say, now when I hear "I'll Be" on the radio, I no longer think of middle school dances.

*Chris Barron=lead singer of Spin Doctors="Two Princes (Just Go Ahead Now)"
Edwin McCain="I'll Be" and "I Could Not Ask for More"

1 comment:

Tobes said...

I met Edwin McCain back in the 6th grade. I thought "I'll Be" would be my wedding song...I've grown up a bit.

The fact that I know Jordan, and I know that he is already a semi-awkward person makes this story even better!!!