Monday, October 22, 2007

that's so not history


So everyone has some "history" when it comes to music. Some regrets... some misinterpretations... some lost loves.



Here's my abridged history:
First full tape cassette (remember those?): "The Sign" by Ace of Base
First tape cassette single: "Run Away" by Real McCoy
First CD: "Tragic Kingdom" by No Doubt
First Vinyl: "Chutes Too Narrow" by The Shins
First music video viewed: "Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheik
First concert: BB King & friends

The most embarrassing concert I've ever gone to is Hanson. Ok, second to O-Town (I was going through a rough time). All through middle school I tried convincing my parents that Hanson was the ULTIMATE band. I remember saying, "Dad- they play their own instruments- they write their own music- they are musical geniuses." I left out more important factors: they looked like girls- all of their "genius" songs were created in 4/4 from 1,4 and 5 chords. Saying that I liked them would be a complete understatement. I was infatuated. I'm talking... owned every CD (imports too), member of the fan club, posters covering every inch of white space in my room. It's part of my music history that I've suppressed... until now.

I'm going to see them live this weekend. I hope it is absolutely hysterical. I hope they play MMMBop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hanson's "Where's the Love" rivals anything Ace of Base ever recorded!