Sunday, March 18, 2007

If all my friends jumped off a bridge, I would too

Well, not quite. I don't do MySpace- I barely do AIM- I do Facebook, but it allows so little creativity that I don't even know if it counts. But now, I blog. Who knows how long it may last. Could this be my only post?

A few days ago I was at a Starbucks in Newport Beach, California. I heard some sweet sounds coming from the speakers so I asked the girl working (she was eating Pizza Hut and tried to hide the box from me) to find out who it was. She said it was James Morrison and showed me where the album was in the store. I made an impulse decision to purchase it.

Now you see, it's not that I usually buy albums after hearing about 90 seconds of a song. I was seriously in need of some new music. My friends and I were on the last day of our extensive roadtrip to California. Four of us rode in Eleanor, my little Jetta. Between us we had 3 iPods, but the battery power couldn't hold up for the 3,000+ miles. And besides M83, the only CD in my car, the only music option was the radio.

If you live in a place where there is slightly good music on the radio, be thankful. If you have satellite radio, be even more thankful. At one point, driving on the 8 from San Diego towards Tucson, there were only 4 stations that came in, none of which were in English. Then on I-10 in Texas, there was one point where the only station that came in was a preacher who spoke with such a heavy accent, it was impossible to understand. We turned off the radio and resorted to singing "kumbaya."

Long story short- it was a good purchase. If you like singer/songwriters like Marc Broussard, Jon McLaughlin and Paolo Nutini, you'll love James Morrison. He's got a strong voice and music filled with blues and groove.

No comments: